Thursday, February 03, 2005

Another Day In The Park

I'm pretty certain while sitting in the park yesterday writing, an activity full of whimsy, a big white duck was flirting with me. I could see him out of the corner of my eye as he, watching me, slowly stutted his way toward me. Now thinking he was like all the other ducks I didn't want to make any sudden moves, like looking up, and scare him. He got to be about 1 foot in front of me, I still had my head down pretending to write up a storm, as he leaned in under my face and looked me dead in the eye.

"Quack" he said.
"Oh hi" I blushed and put my head down and pretended I was busy.

I was nervous. He backed away a step and turned and walked over to the pack of mismatched ducks across the sidewalk from myself. He started talking to them all then looked over his shoulder and gestured toward me. They all started laughing and talking amongst themselves. I tried but I just couldn't make out what they were saying. Then the one I said hi to barked loudly to me and when I looked up again they had all stood in a straight line facing away from me. My duck quacked three times and they turned their heads around over their backs and stared right at me as they all started shaking their tail feathers. I couldn't believe him, what a crazy bastard. I laughed, kinda' lowered my head, and smiled innocently while looking softly at him from under my brow. All his duck friends exploded in quacking and nudged him with their beaks in my direction. He strutted back over to me..

"Quack?" he asked. He was strong.
"Winky", I then asked "What's your name?".
"Quack" he replied.
"That's a real nice name" me.
"Quack" him.
I laughed, "thank you".
"Quack" he asked and lifted a wing.
"I guess, sure". I folded my notebook over and tucked the pen away and stood.

He moved his wing around me and and rested the tip on my right hip, he of course was on the left and we walked around the lake slowly. We talked and laughed, it was a real nice afternoon.

When he climbed abruptly out of my bed later that night and hurried to the front door he quacked and said he'd call me today. I sat by the phone all morining and late into the afternoon, no call. I was starting to get pissed and was terribly confused. It seemed like he liked me I decided to go to the park to find him.

When I arrived to where I first layed eyes on him there was no sign of him or his guy friends. Instead there was just this group of big butted female ducks huddled up quacking under their breath to each other looking over at me giving me the eye. I just turned around and went home to get ready for work.

I'm at work now in my office just daydreaming that when I walk out to bartend he'll be here. He was flirting right? Was I just some cheap piece of human flesh for him? Am I going to lay an egg now? I'm so stupid, he doesn't care about me. Next time I see him he'll act all cool and say something smooth like, "Quack". I'll foolishly melt, next thing you know badda-bing we're back at my place and I'm watching him run from my bed. Not me, not this time! When I see him next I won't even look in his direction. And when he talks to me I'll say, "Do I know you?", then laugh with all my friends and walk away. I don't know maybe I shouldn't be drinking so much before I go to the park.

8 comments:

Victoria said...

First of all, "It was a real nice afternoon"..
Laffs x 18876676990389890899...

Blog ho said...

Great story. Thank you.

If I was there I'd be the duck trying to warn you about him. It wouldn't be quacked, I'd have to give you the stare, the head nudge and the vibe.

Victoria said...

..Wink?

Winky Stanofowick said...

I'm sorry Vic, my assistant at the bar is out of town and I have been working enough job for 4 people, so I ain't been writing or reading... but I am here. In spare seconds I check in I just don't have the time to do anything but the check in. I'm here now but alas you are not.

Victoria said...

I love your post, Wink. I mean, did this really happen?

You are the funniest girl alive..

Winky Stanofowick said...

It did really happen. I saw him at the park again, it looks like he wasn't running from me. I took him some bread crumbs, and we're supposed to meet tomorrow, again. Fingers crossed, we'll see.

Victoria said...

Omigod! Has he any single friends..?

Winky Stanofowick said...

There was this one shiny black fellow with this perfect cupie curl of a feather on his bum. He seems like he's got money and his shit together. I'll feel him out for ya'.